Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Eve in Palmares




I was fortunate enough to be invited to a Christmas Eve fiesta at the home of Lorene and Alonso to join in a celebration with their family and friends. And a great celebration it was. My neighbours and I decided to take a taxi($8.00) for the twenty-five minute drive to Palmares. Palmares, usually a sleepy place, comes alive for a week in mid-January when it hosts one of the largest Fiestas in Costa Rica. It is estimated that close to one million people (about 1/4 of the population of the country) visit the city for the celebrations of Costa Rica's cowboy heritage: rodeos, disco tents, fairgrounds, everything a celebration should have.
But, on Christmas Eve, it was quiet and peaceful. We arrived about 7:00 and ate, drank (moderately, of course) and danced (I did tap my foot, almost in rhythm, several times). A great time for all!
Elizabeth arrives on January 1 (finally) so I imagine future posts will be appropriate for the Home and Gardens Network.

2 comments:

  1. Feliz Navidad Greg!

    By the way, in my youth, I dreamed of the "disco tent!"

    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, youth is a relative term, young man.

    ReplyDelete