Monday, November 9, 2009

North to South with a Cup of Coffee





It has been a busy few days; Saturday, a three hour drive Southwest to Quepos on the Pacific where I left Adriano and Natalie in a pleasant hotel (Villa Romantica) where they will spend four days enjoying Manuel Antonio National Park and playing on the Pacific beaches. On the return journey, I was pulled over by a member of the Policia Transito who pointed to his radar gun to prove, beyond a doubt, that I was exceeding the speed limit by a fair bit. Using my adept facial muscles and fractured Spanish, I managed to convince him it was a miracle that I was even able to operate a car and should be forgiven any transgression as I was, by no means, capable of any sort of crime with malice aforethought. He kindly proffered, " I will do you right, Senor", and waved me on my way while I obsequiously repeated, " Gracias, muchas gracias, Senor", barely resisting the overpowering impulse to kiss his feet.
Today, Ricardo and I visited a nearby Coffee Plantation where we were guided by a wise young woman and plied with a variety of blends. The Plantation is part of a large cooperative, certified as fair trade and based upon Green Practice. We then walked into San Ramon where we managed to locate, through the help of several locals, the only remaining large sized straw hat for Ricardo to don in order to prevent sun stroke.
At this point, the purchase seems a tad optimistic as we have been beset by tropical rains as a result of Hurricane Ida which has left 140 dead by mudslides in El Salvador.

No comments:

Post a Comment