Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Back in San Ramon




It has been a while, but I arrived back in San Ramon, late Saturday evening. Upon entering our home, I was taken by how familiar everything was. The next day, I began to see the changes in our neighborhood: the paved road, a new sidewalk, advancing construction on the former shack across the street, a garden of corn and beans where there was one an untended field of long grass. No more dust and dirt filling the air and coating the driveway every time a vehicle passed. Our small plants in the back patio now filling once bare spaces with verdant growth after thriving for months.
Despite the changes, the people remain constant: since my arrival, neighbours have delivered meals (mmm, too thin, I think), invited me for walks and reinforced that my Spanish classes have not prepared me for any complex communication; I understand quite a bit more than during my last visit but still struggle to express myself. Poco a poco, patience and persistence.
I have attached a few pictures of the road, the field and Johnny, master builder who is transforming the shack across the road to a new three bedroom, two bathroom home with hot and cold water and a big backyard (yours for only 30 000 US). Trust me, an investment like that will provide more comfort and excitement than a new SUV.

No comments:

Post a Comment