Friday, February 1, 2013

Eggs at One O'Clock

Elizabeth and I arrived in San Ramón late Sunday evening. We were picked up at the airport by Kattia, (Alfredo and Marielos' daughter) and her husband Mauricio. I think an important component of an effective blog, one that transfixes the reader, is the constant insertion of names that the reader knows nothing (and may care even less) about,and delineating the complex relationships that exists amongst those named. I know it helps me sort things out.
The following day we attended to financial tasks - paying the annual property taxes ($80.00 which includes garbage pick up twice weekly), reactivating my online account with Banco Daviviendo so I can pay the electricity, water, telephone and internet while in Vancouver and setting up an account for Elizabeth.
Unbeknownst to me (forsooth), HSBC Costa Rica is no more, at least in name. I assume the change is a cosmetic response to the outrageous practices it followed that allowed for many millions of dollars to be laundered throughout its international network; however, I was most reassured to see the posters in the bank that showed smiling happy middle-class families enjoying their prosperity. This relieved me of any anxiety I had about beloning to an evil financial empire.
On Miercoles (Wednesday), we went for a short trip with Alfredo and Marielos (see above) in their carro(car). Las vistas (the views) were mui linda (very beautiful). Note the depth of my language capacity and the ease in which I float between English y Español (and Spanish).
When we arrived back to our casa, Marielos invited us for eggs at one o'clock (hueves a la una). I thought it was a bit odd as she is not in the habit of announcing her lunch menu, but I assumed it was a late January Catholic tradition, a way of marking the transition from Christmas to Easter. At about 12:55, I told Elizabeth is was time to go, and she looked at me quizzically (as


she is often wont to do), and asked "Por qué?"(why?). Apparently, Marielos had invited us to join them on another outing: jueves a la una (Thursday at one).
Oh goodness, progress is relative. I feel I have come a long way from my conversation (repeated many timmes with the woman at the meat section of the supermercado:
Algo mas? (Anything else?)
Si, ciao. (yes, goodbye)
Maybe her smile after each of these interactions was not one of friendship.

Still, I hope we did not miss out on the pre-Easter eggs.


1 comment:

  1. Welcome back Greg & Elizabeth! This was a very funny piece and reminded me of how incredibly complex and overwhelming it must be for our many ESL learners here, trying to navigate a new life in Canada and succeed at a strange school where everyone is speaking English rapidly.

    It must have been disappointing too, as a nice eggs benedict luncheon (or perhaps a Spanish omelet) sounds good!

    Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete